First of all I want to thank you for signing up for Live a More balanced Life Challenge (#LMLBC.) Your response to the challenge was incredible. Thank you for introducing yourself and sharing your struggles with life balance in the comments (if you haven’t introduced yourself yet you can do that here.)
Now let’s start our challenge.
Before we start building more balanced lives it’s important to understand what life balance really is. Did you ever think about it yourself? Did you give life balance your personal definition?
A lot of people are looking for life balance without even knowing what it is. They think that it’s some state of mind and body where everything just feels, looks, and seems perfect and stable. Is it possible in reality? Absolutely, not. Even more, this type of life balance would be a disaster that wouldn’t let you grow, wouldn’t let you reach your goals and wouldn’t let your evolve as a person.
Sometimes the best way to describe what something is to start by describing what it’s not. Let me tell you what LIFE BALANCE IS NOT:
- It’s not having a perfect day every day;
- It’s not devoting equal attention to every aspect of your life on a daily basis;
- It’s not fitting more things into your schedule;
- It’s not a magical cure for any problem;
- It’s not something that you reach once and then maintain it for the rest of your life.
Now you are probably wondering what we are looking for here. I hope I didn’t confuse you too much.
LIFE BALANCE IS:
- A journey – because every day you must make steps to stay in balance. Every day something will try to push you out of balance (and most of the time this “something” will succeed) but every time you will be able to bounce back to your balance.
- Attitude – because living a balanced life means having a balanced mindset. You can’t force yourself to make choices that are not natural to you. You can practice creating a balanced attitude through exercises, self discovery and constant work on yourself. At some point your work pays off and you start seeing the entire world in balanced colors and start making decisions that support your balanced lifestyle.
- Focus – because every area of your life (family, health, work, finances, passions, social life and spirituality) requires different amounts of your time and attention at different points of your life. A new parent of course will focus more on his/her child then on anything else in the world. A graduate student will put all effort into writing his/her thesis and looking for a good job. A retired person will focus on health and spirituality more than anything else. When you live a balanced life you can shift your focus in the right direction for a certain period of time (whether it’s a day or a year) without completely neglecting other areas of life.
- Core belief – because without this foundation there is nothing to build your balance upon. You must have a belief that you can go to whenever you feel fragile, unmotivated, weak or simply in doubt. Going on a spiritual journey is often the best way to find that belief and build your life according to it.
- Very personal – because there are no two people in this world who have identical goals, challenges, needs and talents. It’s impossible to write an ultimate how-to guide for each person to live their lives in balance. You can take tips, advice and examples from other people and transform them to bring your life in balance.
Today I want you to think about what life balance is for you personally. Before you embark on this journey towards balanced living you must know what you are looking for. Give yourself some time to reflect on your life, your goals, deep beliefs and aspirations. What is life balance for you?
Here is my personal definition of life balance:
Life balance is inner peace and happiness.
Life balance is the understanding that my life is full and yet I have plenty of room to bring something new into it.
Life balance is a happy family that I have and smiles on the faces of my girls.
Life balance is taking care of my body without forgetting my soul.
Life balance is walking outside and seeing the beauty around me that inspires me day after day.
Life balance is faith that I have.
Life balance is my focus on the most important things in my life and not being afraid to let go of less important tasks, projects and people.
Life balance is an imperfect mixture of creativity, work, family, exercise and my personal time. It’s very unique, chaotic at times and totally worth all the efforts to keep it in balance.
- For your personal records write down your definition of life balance.
- Share what life balance is for you in the comments below (if you feel comfortable with it of course.)
- Focus on the following questions while creating your definition:
- What inner feeling will make me feel in balance?
- What is my core belief?
- How would I like to approach all situations in a balanced way?
- What areas of life are most important to me right now?
Keep it balanced!
P.S. Building a community and motivating each other is an important part of finding your personal balance. If you have time – please answer a comment of another participant. Welcome them to the challenge, encourage them and see if you have something in common. You can answer the comment that stroke a chord with you or just a comment of a person before you. Hit “Reply” under a comment to leave your response.