By guest author Mrs. Hill
Simple: if you want to achieve anything in your life – throw out your TV set.
That alone can become the single most important positive change in your life.
How we accidentally got rid of TV in 2007 and never looked back
We got married in 2005. My husband had already had cable plugged in, so we started our married life with Oprah, Dr Phil and news at the background. Saturday mornings were beginning with pancakes and Simpsons. Afternoons were filled with news around the world and normal channel browsing sometimes till midnight (we have all done that). We were very content and TV provided the perfect fix to take the edge off if one of us felt too stressed out at work.
TV was the perfect substitute for communication, so we did not have too many friends at the time, but life was normal. I could hear TV of our neighbors plugged in all the time, so we definitely were not alone.
Then we moved and had to ask ourselves, do we plug in the cable again or not. We were saving money for the house, so we decided to see how we go without the cable. Our TV was damaged during the move, so we had also to decide whether to buy the new one or not. And we decided to hold on. Temporarily… You know, that nothing is more permanent then temporary, right?! It was 2007.
Well, now when we look back, we both think that it was our wisest decision in balancing our life and family.
- Instead of Oprah and Dr Phil, we got long conversations over dinner. These conversations built our marriage from strength to strength. These conversations allowed us to discuss our common goals, fears, hopes. We shared childhood stories and dreams about the future of our family.
- Instead of communication substitute, we’ve got the real communication. We started inviting more people and making more friends as a family.
- Instead of hysteria of news, we would watch nice movies (via computer) that would relieve stress and make us both happy.
- Instead of browsing TV channels until late at night, we started studying at the University.
Let’s weigh up pros and cons of watching TV
- It is a wonderful temporary fix after a hard day at work, great stress relief.
- TV is a great simulation of communication.
- You are up to date with the news and shows.
- TV slowly eats up your time and throws your life in disarray.
- You get addicted to one show after another and then you fall asleep in front of a TV.
- You do not get enough sleep, communication, time or energy and it is only the beginning because it is going to get worse and worse.
- Your family suffers.
- By watching TV in bed you automatically cut the precious time you would have had discussing important issues with your loved one or sleeping.
- By watching TV while eating you stay distracted (lose the connection to the present moment) and overeat.
- TV might be the single cause of why you feel isolated and lonely. You substitute communication with screen time, and that is why you have fewer friends than you desire. The vicious cycle.
The guaranteed and instant benefits of excluding TV from your life:
- more time,
- higher quality communication with your loved ones,
- better sleep,
- less stress,
- overall feeling of well-being, freedom and happiness.
Wake up and say “no” to TV (it ‘s a drug).
Couple of funny quotes instead of conclusion…
TV is a chewing gum for the eyes.
Frank Lloyd Wright – Tweet this
Television is the triumph of machine over people.
Fred Allen – Tweet this
Television enables you to be entertained in your home by people you wouldn’t have in your home.
David Frost – Tweet this
Do you watch TV?
Do you feel that it’s an essential part of your lifestyle or a time trap?
Leave your thoughts below…
The Ninja Wife is a women-only blog. It is about embracing the differences between men and women and capitalizing on these differences. You will learn how to inspire and empower your man in a ninja way (using his power, not going against it). After learning some simple techniques you will become an irresistible girlfriend or adored wife in complete control of your feminine charm warfare. Check it out on http://theninjawife.com/
Photo credit: Black Eyes
Get in the Balance Zone
|How about joining the exclusive circle of life balance seekers? Subscribe to my newsletter, get all the balanced goodness (and more) and don't forget to download your free Book of Wisdom: 50 Ideas for the all-around balanced life.|